As the leaves start to turn and the air gets a bit chillier, there’s nothing quite like wrapping your hands around a warm bowl of soup. And not just any soup, but the kind that feels like a hug from the inside out. That’s exactly what you get with a hearty bowl of Ham, Potato, and Corn Chowder.
Imagine walking into a kitchen filled with the savory aroma of cooking ham and the sweet scent of corn. It’s a smell that promises comfort and warmth. This chowder is like a patchwork quilt of flavors, each spoonful bringing together the saltiness of the ham, the earthiness of the potatoes, and the subtle sweetness of the corn.
The beauty of this chowder lies in its simplicity and the way it can make you feel at home, no matter where you are. It’s a dish that doesn’t need to be fancy or complicated to be utterly satisfying. Each ingredient plays an important role, from the smoky chunks of ham that add depth to the creamy potatoes that make it so filling.
But it’s not just about taste—there’s something deeply comforting about the act of eating chowder. The way you can curl up on the couch with a bowl and let all your worries melt away with each bite. It’s a meal that doesn’t ask you to rush or to think about anything else. All it asks is that you enjoy the moment and the warm, delicious comfort it provides.
Ham, Potato, and Corn Chowder is also incredibly versatile. It’s perfect for a cozy family dinner, a casual get-together with friends, or even as a dish to bring to someone who needs a little extra comfort. And while it’s especially welcome on cold days, its heartiness makes it a satisfying choice any time of year.
In a world that’s always moving fast, taking the time to savor a bowl of Ham, Potato, and Corn Chowder can be a gentle reminder to slow down and appreciate the simple things. It’s a dish that tells a story of tradition, of family gatherings, and of the joy that comes from sharing good food with loved ones.
So next time you’re looking for a meal that will warm your body and soul, remember the humble yet mighty chowder. It’s more than just food; it’s a bowl full of comfort, waiting to soothe you after a long day. And isn’t that something we could all use a little more of?
Ham, Potato, and Corn Chowder
- 1 cup smoked ham diced
- 4 cups potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 cup onion finely chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 cup carrots diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can 15 ounces creamed corn
- 1 can 15 ounces whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Chopped fresh parsley crumbled bacon and green onion for garnish (optional)
- Prep the Ingredients: Dice the smoked ham, potatoes, onions, celery, and carrots.
- Sauté the Vegetables: In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, carrots, and garlic. Sauté until the vegetables are softened.
- Add Ham and Potatoes: Stir in the diced smoked ham and potatoes. Cook for a few minutes, allowing the flavors to meld.
- Make a Roux: Sprinkle the flour over the ham and vegetable mixture. Stir to coat and cook for 2-3 minutes to eliminate the raw flour taste.
- Add Broth and Seasonings: Gradually pour in the chicken broth, stirring continuously to avoid lumps. Add the dried thyme and bay leaf. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Simmer: Bring the chowder to a simmer and let it cook until the potatoes are tender, usually around 15-20 minutes.
- Add Corn and Milk: Stir in the creamed corn, drained whole kernel corn, and milk. Continue simmering for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Adjust Seasoning: Taste the chowder and adjust the seasoning if needed. Remove the bay leaf.
- Serve: Ladle the smoked ham, potato, and corn chowder into bowls. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley, crumbled bacon and green onion if desired.