Rocky road ice cream is a classic dessert that has been enjoyed by people around the world for decades. It’s a delectable treat that combines rich chocolate ice cream with marshmallows and nuts for a deliciously sweet and crunchy experience. But have you ever thought about making it yourself instead of buying it from the store? Making homemade rocky road ice cream has many benefits that will have you ditching the store-bought version for good.
Firstly, making homemade rocky road ice cream allows you to control the ingredients that go into it. Store-bought rocky road ice cream can be loaded with additives and preservatives that you may not want in your food. By making it at home, you can choose high-quality, natural ingredients that are free from any nasty chemicals or artificial flavors. You can also adjust the amount of sugar and fat to suit your dietary needs.
Secondly, making homemade rocky road ice cream is a fun activity that you can share with family and friends. It’s a great way to get creative in the kitchen and experiment with different flavors and toppings. You can personalize your ice cream and make it exactly how you like it. Kids will especially love getting involved in the process and helping to mix and stir the ingredients.
Thirdly, making homemade rocky road ice cream is a lot cheaper than buying it from the store. A pint of premium ice cream can cost upwards of $6, whereas making it at home will only cost a fraction of that price. All you need is some heavy cream, milk, sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, marshmallows, and nuts. Plus, you can make a much larger batch at home than you would get from a store-bought container.
Homemade rocky road ice cream has many benefits that make it a worthwhile endeavor. Not only can you control the ingredients that go into it, but it’s also a fun activity to do with family and friends, it’s cheaper than buying it from the store, it’s a healthier option, and it’s a great way to impress your guests. So next time you’re in the mood for some rocky road ice cream, why not give making it yourself a try? Your taste buds (and your wallet) will thank you.
Homemade Rocky Road Ice Cream
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder sifted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds toasted
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips chopped
- 4 oz marshmallow fluff
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cocoa, sugars and salt. Add the milk, heavy cream and vanilla and, using a hand mixer on low speed or a whisk, beat to combine until the cocoa, sugars and salt are dissolved
- Cover and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours, or overnight.
- Turn your ice cream maker on; pour the mixture into the machine and freeze according to manufacturer instructions. If you’re using an ice cream maker with a frozen bowl, it should take 15-20 minutes. If you’re using one with a compressor, it will take a little longer, 25-35 minutes.
- Remove the ice cream from the machine and fold in the almonds and chocolate chips. As you’re spooning the ice cream into the containers, add the marshmallow fluff in layers in between the ice cream. Use a butter knife to swirl it in as best as you can. Cover and freeze until solid.
- Scoop and enjoy!