When it comes to comfort food, there are few dishes that can beat beef stroganoff. This classic Russian dish is made with sautéed beef, mushrooms, onions, and a rich, creamy sauce. And while it’s traditionally cooked on the stovetop, using a crockpot is a convenient and easy way to make this tasty meal.
The beauty of using a crockpot for beef stroganoff is that you can simply toss in all of the ingredients and let the slow cooker do the work for you. This means that you can go about your day without having to worry about constantly stirring or checking on the dish. Plus, the longer cooking time allows the flavors to meld together and creates a more tender and flavorful beef.
To make crockpot beef stroganoff, start by browning your beef in a pan on the stove. This helps to seal in the flavor and create a nice crust on the meat. Once the beef is browned, add it to your crockpot along with sliced mushrooms, chopped onions, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, and a few spices. Then, set the slow cooker to low and let it cook for 6-8 hours.
After the beef has cooked, you’ll need to add a few final ingredients to create the creamy sauce. In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream and flour until smooth. Then, stir the mixture into the crockpot and let it cook for an additional 30 minutes. This helps to thicken the sauce and create a rich, creamy texture.
When it’s time to serve, you can spoon the beef stroganoff over egg noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes. This hearty and satisfying meal is perfect for a cozy night in or a family dinner. Plus, the leftovers make for a great lunch the next day.
Overall, crockpot beef stroganoff is a simple and delicious meal that’s perfect for busy weeknights or lazy weekends. With just a little bit of prep work, you can have a hearty and comforting dish that’s sure to satisfy. So why not give it a try and see just how easy and delicious crockpot beef stroganoff can be?
Crockpot Beef Stroganoff
- 2 lbs beef chuck roast cut into thin strips
- 1 large onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Egg noodles or rice for serving
- In a large crockpot, add the beef, onions, garlic, and mushrooms.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the beef broth, sour cream, flour, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard, paprika, thyme, salt, and pepper until smooth.
- Pour the mixture over the beef and vegetables in the crockpot. Stir to combine.
- Cover the crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 4-6 hours, until the beef is tender and the sauce has thickened.
- When ready to serve, prepare egg noodles or rice according to package instructions.
- Serve the beef stroganoff over the noodles or rice, and garnish with additional sour cream and chopped fresh parsley if desired.