Are you a fan of delicious and comforting desserts? Look no further! Today, I am excited to share with you how to make a delightful homemade bread pudding using Italian bread. This classic dessert is perfect for any occasion and will surely satisfy your sweet tooth.
To start off, gather all the necessary ingredients for your bread pudding. You will need:
- Italian bread (preferably a day or two old)
- Vanilla extract
- Raisins (optional)
Now that we have everything ready, let’s get cooking! Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius). Next, take your Italian bread and tear it into small pieces, placing them in a greased baking dish.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla extract, and a pinch of cinnamon. The amount of each ingredient will depend on the size of your baking dish and personal preference. Feel free to adjust accordingly! If you enjoy a fruity twist, you can also add a handful of raisins to the mixture.
Once your custard mixture is well combined, pour it evenly over the torn bread, making sure all the pieces are soaked. Gently press down on the bread to ensure it absorbs the liquid. Let the bread pudding rest for about 10 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together.
Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 45 minutes, or until the top turns golden brown and the pudding is set. Remember, each oven may vary in temperature, so keep an eye on it!
Once your homemade bread pudding is done baking, remove it from the oven and let it cool for a while. You can serve it warm or chilled, depending on your preference. It pairs wonderfully with a dollop of whipped cream or a drizzle of caramel sauce. Trust me, this dessert will become a household favorite in no time!
So there you have it, a simple and scrumptious homemade bread pudding made from Italian bread. It’s the perfect treat to indulge in when you’re craving something sweet and comforting. I hope you enjoy making it as much as I do. Happy baking!
- French or Italian bread stale is best 4 cup
- large eggs 8
- whole milk 3 cup
- sugar 1 cup
- light brown sugar tightly packed 1 cup
- vanilla extract 1 tsp
- nutmeg 1 tsp
- cinnamon 1 tsp
- butter melted 4 tbsp
- light brown sugar tightly packed ½ cup
- heavy cream ½ cup
- vanilla extract ½ tsp
- butter 4 tbsp
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare a 9 x 13 dish by spraying with nonstick spray
- Spread the cubed bread evenly in the bottom of the baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, both sugars, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread cubes. Allow this to sit for about 10 minutes.
- After the bread mixture has set for 10 minutes, drizzle the 4 tablespoons of melted butter on top of the soaked bread cubes.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- While the bread pudding is baking, in a medium sized saucepan, combine the light brown sugar, heavy cream, and butter to make your caramel sauce. Heat this mixture over medium heat.
- Whisking intermittently, cook the carmel mixture for 5 to 6 minutes .
- Remove the caramel sauce from the heat and whisk in the ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Pour the caramel sauce over the bread pudding, immediately after removing the pudding from the oven. Serve while warm.