Biscuits are a classic comfort food that can elevate any meal to new heights. But have you ever tried Skillet Cheddar Biscuits? These little bites of heaven take the traditional biscuit to a whole new level. With their golden crust, cheesy center, and melt-in-your-mouth texture, they are the perfect sidekick for any dish.
The Secret Ingredient: Cheddar Cheese
What sets Skillet Cheddar Biscuits apart from the rest is the generous amount of cheddar cheese. The sharpness of the cheese adds a rich flavor profile that perfectly complements the light and fluffy biscuit dough. As the biscuits bake in a hot skillet, the cheese melts, creating pockets of gooey goodness throughout each bite. It’s a cheese lover’s dream come true!
Preparation and Cooking Technique:
Making Skillet Cheddar Biscuits is relatively simple, and even novice bakers can achieve impressive results. Although I won’t be sharing the exact recipe here, I will guide you through the basic steps involved.
- Start by preparing your biscuit dough according to your favorite recipe. The key is to make sure the dough is soft and pliable while still maintaining its structure.
- Once your dough is ready, incorporate shredded cheddar cheese into it. The amount of cheese may vary depending on personal preference, but don’t shy away from being generous!
- Roll out the dough and cut it into small rounds using a biscuit cutter or any round object of similar size.
- Preheat your oven and place an oven-proof skillet in it. Allow the skillet to heat up with the oven until it’s scorching hot.
- Carefully remove the hot skillet from the oven and arrange the biscuit rounds in it. The sizzling sound as they hit the hot surface is music to your ears.
- Return the skillet to the oven and bake the biscuits until they turn golden brown and irresistible. The baking time may vary, so keep a close eye on them to avoid overcooking.
- Once out of the oven, resist the temptation to devour them immediately. Give them a few minutes to cool slightly before serving.
Skillet Cheddar Biscuits are incredibly versatile and can be enjoyed with various meals. Serve them warm as a side dish for soups, stews, or chili to add an extra layer of comfort. They also make a delightful accompaniment to hearty salads or roasted vegetables, providing a perfect balance of flavors. For brunch lovers, pair these biscuits with scrambled eggs, crispy bacon, or even a dollop of creamy avocado spread. The options are endless!
Skillet Cheddar Biscuits are a game-changer when it comes to enhancing mealtime enjoyment. With their cheesy goodness and buttery texture, they will undoubtedly become a staple in your recipe repertoire. Whether you’re a fan of classic comfort foods or simply looking to impress your friends and family, these biscuits are sure to steal the show. So grab your skillet, gather your ingredients, and get ready to embark on a culinary adventure that will leave everyone craving more!
Skillet Cheddar Biscuits
- 2 c flour
- 1 T sugar
- 1 T baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 c + 1 Tb cold butter divided
- 1 1/2 c grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1/4 c whole milk
- To begin, preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
- In an iron skillet, melt a tablespoon of butter over super low heat, and spread the butter around the bottom. Set it aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.
- Cut up the remaining stick (1/2 c) of cold butter into pieces, and drop them into the flour mixture.
- With a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour mixture, until there are no pieces of butter larger than a pea.
- Grate in the sharp cheddar cheese.
- Stir the cheese into the flour mixture, and then pour in the whole milk.
- Stir it together until just combined.
- Now scoop the batter into the skillet, in little globs. An ice cream scoop works perfectly.
- Slide the skillet into your oven, and bake for about 20 minutes, until the biscuits are nice and golden brown on top.
- And enjoy!