Hot chocolate is a beloved and comforting drink that many people enjoy during the colder months. There’s something special about sipping on a warm cup of hot chocolate that can instantly lift your spirits and bring a smile to your face. While you can easily buy pre-packaged hot chocolate mixes from the store, there’s a certain joy in making your own mix from scratch.
Creating your own hot chocolate mix allows you to customize the flavors and experiment with different combinations of ingredients. Whether you prefer a rich and creamy hot chocolate, a dark and decadent version, or something a little spicy, the choice is yours when you make your own mix.
Making hot chocolate mix from scratch also gives you control over the quality of ingredients used. You can choose to use high-quality cocoa powder, real chocolate, and natural sweeteners to create a healthier and more delicious version of this classic drink.
Additionally, creating your own mix can be a fun and rewarding activity. It’s a chance to unleash your creativity and play around with different flavor profiles. You can add a pinch of cinnamon, a dash of vanilla extract, or even a hint of peppermint for a festive twist. The possibilities are endless, and it’s entirely up to you to decide what goes into your perfect cup of hot chocolate.
Not only is making your own hot chocolate mix a fun and creative process, but it also makes for a great gift idea. During the holiday season, why not create personalized hot chocolate mix jars for your loved ones? You can package your mix in cute containers, decorate them with ribbons and labels, and include instructions on how to prepare the hot chocolate. It’s a thoughtful and heartfelt present that shows you’ve put time and effort into making something special.
Making your own hot chocolate mix is a delightful endeavor that allows you to personalize your favorite winter beverage. Whether it’s for yourself or as a gift for someone else, the process of creating your own mix can be both fun and rewarding. So gather your ingredients, let your imagination run wild, and enjoy the magic of homemade hot chocolate.
Hot Chocolate Mix
- 2 cups 250 g confectioners’ sugar powdered sugar
- 1 cup 118 g Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 2 ½ cups 170 g powdered milk
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- mini marshmallows optional
- hot water or milk
- In a large mixing bowl, add the confectioners’ sugar, cocoa powder, powdered milk, cornstarch, and salt. Whisk together to combine.
- Store the mixture in an airtight container for up to a year. This will make 4½ cups of hot cocoa mix, or enough for about 18 cups of hot cocoa.
Making a Cup of Hot Cocoa
- When making a cup of hot cocoa, use about ¼ of a cup of powder per cup of hot water or milk, or adjust to taste preference.
- Top the powder with ¼ cup of mini marshmallows if adding.
- Pour hot liquid over the cocoa powder, stirring until the powder has dissolved. Enjoy!