If you’re a fan of sweet and crunchy treats, then peanut brittle is sure to delight your taste buds! This classic confection is made with simple ingredients, but the result is a mouthwatering combination that will leave you craving for more.
What is Peanut Brittle?
Peanut brittle is a type of candy that consists of roasted peanuts encased in a hard and sugary caramelized syrup. The mixture is cooked until it reaches a perfect golden-brown color, giving it a delightful crunch and a distinctive flavor that is both nutty and sweet.
The Crunchy Texture
One of the best things about peanut brittle is its satisfyingly crunchy texture. As you take a bite, the brittle shatters into small, delicious pieces that fill your mouth with an irresistible crispiness. This makes it the ideal snack for those who appreciate a good crunch!
The Perfect Balance of Sweetness
Peanut brittle strikes an exquisite balance between being tooth-achingly sweet and subtly nutty. The sweetness of the caramelized syrup complements the natural flavors of the roasted peanuts, creating a harmony that is simply addictive. Each bite offers a burst of sweet and savory goodness that keeps you coming back for more.
Versatility at Its Finest
Not only is peanut brittle a tasty treat on its own, but it also lends itself well to various other culinary creations. You can crumble it over ice cream for a delightful sundae topping, use it as a garnish for cakes and cupcakes, or even chop it up and incorporate it into cookie dough for an extra crunch. The possibilities are endless when it comes to enjoying this delectable delight!
While you can easily find peanut brittle at your local store, there’s something truly special about making it yourself. The process of cooking the syrup, adding the peanuts, and watching it transform into a golden brittle is incredibly rewarding. Plus, homemade peanut brittle allows you to customize the flavor by adding spices like cinnamon or a pinch of sea salt to give it a unique twist.
Peanut brittle is a delightful confection that brings together the delightful crunch of roasted peanuts and the perfect balance of sweetness. Whether enjoyed on its own or incorporated into other desserts, this versatile treat is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth. So why not try making a batch yourself and experience the joy of indulging in this classic candy?
Microwave Peanut Brittle
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 cups raw peanuts
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray it with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In large microwave safe glass bowl, stir together the sugar and corn syrup.
- Microwave the mixture for 4 minutes. The sugar will boil. Carefully add the peanuts and butter and use a heatproof utensil to stir to combine.
- Return the bowl to the microwave and cook for an additional 3 to 5 minutes – or until caramel colored. The mixture will need to reach between 300 and 310°F – the hard crack stage.
- Remove from the microwave and add the vanilla and baking soda and stir quickly to combine. The mixture will foam up. Stir just enough to get all the baking soda combined, but don’t over stir. The bubbles/foam is what give the brittle the lighter honeycomb texture and stirring too much will work all those out of the mixture.
- Quickly and carefully pour the mixture onto the prepared pan. Use a silicone spatula sprayed with nonstick cooking spray to spread the brittle evenly. Allow to cool completely before breaking into pieces. Store in an airtight container.