Pumpkin roll is a classic and beloved dessert that never fails to impress. Made with simple ingredients and a touch of autumnal flair, this homemade treat is a delightful combination of moist pumpkin-spiced cake and sweet cream cheese filling. Its charming appearance and delectable taste make it a perfect addition to any gathering or special occasion.
The process of creating a homemade pumpkin roll may seem intimidating at first, but fear not! With a little patience and attention to detail, you can easily master this dessert. The key lies in achieving the perfect balance of flavors and textures.
The cake itself is made from a mixture of pumpkin puree, flour, sugar, eggs, and a medley of warm spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. When baked, the cake becomes tender and full of rich, autumn-inspired aromas. It is then carefully rolled up while still warm to create the distinctive spiral shape.
Next comes the cream cheese filling – the decadent heart of the pumpkin roll. Cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract are combined to form a smooth and luscious filling. This creamy element complements the spiced cake perfectly, adding a luxurious touch to each bite.
When the pumpkin roll is sliced and served, the contrast between the vibrant orange cake and the creamy white filling is visually stunning. Each piece offers a harmonious blend of flavors, as the sweetness of the cream cheese gracefully balances out the warm and earthy tones of the pumpkin-spiced cake.
What makes homemade pumpkin roll truly exceptional is the love and care put into its creation. As you embark on this culinary adventure, you have the opportunity to infuse your personal touch and creativity into the dessert. Whether it’s adding a sprinkle of toasted pecans on top or dusting the roll with a hint of powdered sugar, every detail enhances the overall experience.
Homemade pumpkin roll is a dessert that captivates both the eyes and the taste buds. With its delightful combination of flavors, moist texture, and stunning presentation, it is no wonder why this autumnal treat holds a special place in the hearts of many. So gather your ingredients, roll up your sleeves, and prepare to indulge in the undeniable deliciousness of a homemade pumpkin roll.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice *or see below for substitution
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- optional: powdered sugar to sprinkle on at the end!
CREAM CHEESE FILLING INGREDIENTS:
- 1 8 ounce brick cream cheese room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar sifted
- 6 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
TO MAKE THE PUMPKIN ROLL:
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Line a 15 x 10-inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper, leaving an extra 1-inch of parchment sticking up on both 15-inch sides of the pan so that you can easily lift the cake out after baking. (If you’d like the parchment to stick to the bottom of the pan more easily, sprinkle a little bit of water on the pan and then press the parchment paper on top of it. You can also lightly mist the top of the parchment paper with cooking spray for easier cake release afterwards, although it’s not required.)
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt in a large mixing bowl until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and granulated sugar for 1 minute until thick. Add in the vanilla and pumpkin, and whisk until just combined. Fold in the flour mixture with a rubber spatula, and stir together until just combined.
- Spread the batter evenly into prepared pan. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, or until top of cake springs back when touched. Carefully lift the parchment paper and cake out onto a flat (and heat-safe) surface. Then slowly, use your hands to roll the cake — rolling from the short end to the short end — until it is completely rolled up. Transfer the cake roll to a wire rack, and cool until it reaches room temperature.
- While the cake is cooling, make the cream cheese filling (see below).
- Once the cake has reached room temperature, transfer the cake roll to a flat surface, and carefully it until it is flat again (or mostly flat, it’s ok if the ends curl up a bit). Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over cake, leaving a 3/4-inch border on all sides. Then carefully re-roll the cake, gently peeling away the parchment paper as you roll until you can completely remove and discard it. Tightly wrap the pumpkin roll in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour.
- Remove and unwrap the pumpkin roll and transfer it to your serving dish. Lightly dust the pumpkin roll on all sides with powdered sugar, if you would like. Then slice* and serve.
- If you have leftovers, just re-wrap the pumpkin roll in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Or freeze for up to 3 months.
TO MAKE THE CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
- Whisk together cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl until smooth. If the filling is too thin, add more powdered sugar. If it is too thick, add a half teaspoon or two of water.