As the weather heats up, it’s time to start thinking about light and refreshing summer meals. One dish that checks all the boxes is a BBQ chicken cobb salad. This meal is not only delicious, but also easy to make, and perfect for those hot summer days.
What is a Cobb Salad?
For those who are not familiar, a cobb salad is a classic American salad made with chopped greens, tomatoes, bacon, hard-boiled eggs, avocado, and chicken. It’s typically served with a vinaigrette dressing. The salad was named after Robert Howard Cobb, the owner of The Brown Derby restaurant in Hollywood, where this salad originated.
Why BBQ Chicken Cobb Salad is Perfect for Summer
Not only is this salad delicious, but it’s also perfect for summer for several reasons:
- It’s refreshing: The combination of fresh vegetables and barbecue sauce is a perfect balance of flavors. It’s light and refreshing, yet still filling.
- It’s easy to make: You can easily cook the chicken on the grill, and chop the vegetables while it’s cooking.
- It’s customizable: You can add or subtract ingredients based on your personal preferences. For example, you could add some crumbled blue cheese or swap out the corn for black beans.
BBQ Chicken Cobb Salad
For the Chicken
- 1 pound chicken breast boneless and skinless
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil olive canola or vegetable
- 1 cup BBQ sauce divided
For The Salad
- 5 heaped cups Romaine lettuce
- 1 cup cooked corn kernels if frozen thawed – if canned, drained
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/4 cup red onions chopped or sliced thinly
- 1 cup canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup Monterrey Jack cheese shredded
- 1 avocado peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 tablespoon cilantro finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Ranch dressing
- 1/4 cup tortilla strips
To Make the Chicken
- In a small bowl, mix together the cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken on a plate and brush with about 1 teaspoon of oil. Rub the chicken with the spice mixture. If you have time, you can let it marinate for 30 minutes or up to 4 hours in the refrigerator.
- If cooking the chicken on the stove top: In a large saute pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the chicken and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes per side or until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink.
- If cooking on the grill: Brush the grill with the remaining oil. Grill the chicken for about 5 to 6 minutes per side or until cooked through and no longer pink.
- Transfer the chicken to a bowl and let it rest for 5 minutes, then slice it. Add 3/4 cups of the BBQ sauce and toss to combine.
To Assemble The BBQ Chicken Salad
- Place the lettuce, corn, tomatoes, onions and beans into a large salad bowl.
- Top the salad with the chicken, sprinkle the shredded cheese and chopped cilantro. Pour the Ranch dressing and the remaining 1/4 cup of BBQ sauce and toss gently to combine. Top with crispy tortilla strips and serve immediately.