Coconut cream pie is one of those timeless desserts that can transport you to a tropical paradise with just one bite. With its smooth and creamy filling, flaky crust, and toasted coconut topping, it’s no wonder why this pie has become a favorite for many dessert lovers.
The key to a delicious coconut cream pie lies in the perfect combination of flavors and textures. The rich and velvety custard filling made with coconut milk, vanilla, and eggs creates a heavenly taste experience that is pure bliss for your taste buds. The contrast between the creamy filling and the buttery, golden crust adds a delightful crunch to each bite. And let’s not forget about that toasted coconut topping, which elevates the pie to a whole new level with its nutty and slightly sweet flavor. So grab your favorite pie pan and get started!
Coconut cream pie is a versatile dessert that can be enjoyed on any occasion. It’s the ideal treat for family gatherings, potlucks, or dinner parties. Its classic charm and elegant presentation are sure to impress your guests, making you the star of any gathering. And if you’re looking for something special to celebrate a birthday or anniversary, this pie is the perfect choice. Its timeless appeal will make any celebration feel even more memorable.
While the thought of making a coconut cream pie from scratch might seem daunting, trust me, it’s well worth the effort. The process of creating this dessert masterpiece is an enjoyable journey in itself. From preparing the flaky crust to whisking the custard filling, each step is an invitation to slow down and savor the experience.
If you’re feeling adventurous, you can even experiment with different variations of coconut cream pie. Add a hint of lime zest for a tangy twist or incorporate diced mangoes for an extra burst of tropical fruitiness. The possibilities are endless, and each adaptation brings its own unique flair to this already captivating dessert.
Coconut cream pie is an enchanting dessert that never fails to satisfy both your palate and your soul. Its delightful combination of flavors, silky texture, and tropical essence make it a true standout among other desserts. Whether you choose to enjoy it on a sunny beach or at a family gathering, this pie is sure to bring joy and happiness to any occasion. So go ahead, grab a fork, and treat yourself to a slice of paradise with this indulgent coconut cream pie. If you love this be sure to check out our pecan pie recipe!
Coconut Cream Pie
- 1 refrigerated 9 inch pie crust
- 1 C sugar
- 2 tablespoon flour generously heaping
- 1 dash salt
- 2 C half & half
- 3 large eggs Yolks only. Use whites for meringue.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5-7 oz shredded coconut
- 3 egg whites room temperature
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 tablespoon sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 2 teaspoon very hot water
- ¼ teaspoon cornstarch
- extra shredded coconut
- Cook refrigerated pie crust according to instructions. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium saucepan, mix together the dry ingredients for the pie filling. In a small bowl, beat eggs. Add half and half and mix well.
- Place the sauce pan with the dry ingredients over low heat. Add the milk and eggs a little at a time. Mixing well as you go. Continue to cook over low heat while stirring until pie filling thickens and is stiff. About 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Add 3-5 oz of shredded coconut a little at a time, mixing well.
- Pour warm filling into cooled pie shell. Set aside and prepare meringue.
- Preheat over to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix together corn starch and hot water. Stir until completely dissolved and set aside.
- In a glass or metal bowl, beat egg whites and salt with a mixer medium- medium high speed until fluffy and large bubbles are forming around the edges.
- Continue beating eggs while adding sugar one tablespoon at a time until all of the sugar has been added. Peaks should begin to form.
- Continue beating on medium- medium high speed until peaks are glossy and firm. Add vanilla and cornstarch. Beat 1-2 minutes longer. Peaks should be stiff.
- Spoon finished meringue onto warm pie, spreading all the way to the edges of the crust.
- Fluff with a spatula or back of spoon to create swirls and peaks. Top with rest of coconut and brown the meringue and coconut in the over for 10 minutes or until the peaks are a nice golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before slicing or chilling in the refrigerator.